
what is the major theme of this novel? why is this theme important to a teenager living in 2007?
The theme of this novel is around censorship and knowledge vs. ignorance. It is pretty obvious that this book is about censorship because on the cover of the book, it even says “The Classic Bestseller about Censorship.” In the story, books were “censored” because they offended the people. Eventually, the books were banned because people didn’t want to hear the bad stuff in books. The author is saying that censorship is not always the best thing. Everyone has freedom of speech, and the authors spend a long time trying to think of what they want to put in their books. However, if the authorities censor everything from the book, then the freedom of speech is lost. It is not fair for one to take out what someone else has written, just because it offends them. This is important to a teenager living in 2007 (or 2008) because we read books that were censored, we watch movies that were censored. It is important to realize that we may be hurting the authors by changing the story. When I correct others, I should be cautious not to “censor” them. We all have freedom of speech as I said before, and it is important to make every idea, every suggestion count. Just because it offends you, it doesn’t mean you can’t say it. I think we all need to work on hearing other’s voices.
_
Another important theme was knowledge vs. ignorance. In the book, the whole society is ignorant. Then don’t want to acknowledge the truth. They just want their lives happy. The people ignore everything when the truth is right in front of their faces. However, there are people like Montag and Faber, who seek for the truth and don’t ignore it. They believe that knowledge is power. This is important to a teenager living in 2007 (or 2008) because we don’t want to admit things that offend us. For example, as a Christian, we don’t want to admit that we’ll be persecuted for believing in God. However, it is true, we will be persecuted for the name of God. Even if we ignore the truth, it’s still there. It only makes us feel better to think it’s not true. But when we confront it, it’s worse because it would have been better to know it’s coming and confront it than to ignore it and be surprised when it comes. I think the book is trying to tell us to not ignore but to seek for the truth and knowledge.
The theme of this novel is around censorship and knowledge vs. ignorance. It is pretty obvious that this book is about censorship because on the cover of the book, it even says “The Classic Bestseller about Censorship.” In the story, books were “censored” because they offended the people. Eventually, the books were banned because people didn’t want to hear the bad stuff in books. The author is saying that censorship is not always the best thing. Everyone has freedom of speech, and the authors spend a long time trying to think of what they want to put in their books. However, if the authorities censor everything from the book, then the freedom of speech is lost. It is not fair for one to take out what someone else has written, just because it offends them. This is important to a teenager living in 2007 (or 2008) because we read books that were censored, we watch movies that were censored. It is important to realize that we may be hurting the authors by changing the story. When I correct others, I should be cautious not to “censor” them. We all have freedom of speech as I said before, and it is important to make every idea, every suggestion count. Just because it offends you, it doesn’t mean you can’t say it. I think we all need to work on hearing other’s voices.
_
Another important theme was knowledge vs. ignorance. In the book, the whole society is ignorant. Then don’t want to acknowledge the truth. They just want their lives happy. The people ignore everything when the truth is right in front of their faces. However, there are people like Montag and Faber, who seek for the truth and don’t ignore it. They believe that knowledge is power. This is important to a teenager living in 2007 (or 2008) because we don’t want to admit things that offend us. For example, as a Christian, we don’t want to admit that we’ll be persecuted for believing in God. However, it is true, we will be persecuted for the name of God. Even if we ignore the truth, it’s still there. It only makes us feel better to think it’s not true. But when we confront it, it’s worse because it would have been better to know it’s coming and confront it than to ignore it and be surprised when it comes. I think the book is trying to tell us to not ignore but to seek for the truth and knowledge.
RSS Feed (xml)
3 comments:
I like the second theme .
i never thought it that way
i guess when realitiy comes we need to face
and also i agree with you that freedom of speech is important
eventhough we live in a free country, i still think we lack freedom of speech and hearing others thoughts
I agree with you about the main theme being censorship. The books are banned because they don’t like the story being presented. However, like you said, I think everyone should have a right to freedom of speech. Moreover, it is important to us because we receive censored information. When problems arise, we may not know the solution to our problem because we never learnt the answer. As a result, I think the book is showing us how we should try to take in a variety of information and why we should study literature.
Moreover I agree with your second theme of knowledge vs. ignorance. Like you said, censorship doesn’t solve anything because it doesn’t make the problem go away. For example, a government might not like the message of how dangerous technology, such as nuclear bombs, can be, and as a result, they may ban such information. However, I presenting censored information to the people will not mean that this truth will leave or fade away. Instead, it can backfire. As you said in your post, this theme conveys how we should strive toward seeking truth and knowledge, and I agree that this is significant.
I LOVED your theme! The way you put the theme in comparison of knowing knowledge and ignorance was good. I absolutely support you in what we are censored in. The way you related this to our current life was very good. We do need our freedom and whether we know it or not we need express our freedom more strongly. YOur passage was moving because it made me look at my life in another perspective.
Post a Comment