
what is the mood of this novel? do you find this novel saddens you in any way? why?
I think most of the times, the mood of this novel is sad and depressing. Montag is confused about his life and doesn’t know what the emptiness in his heart is. I think the mood of this story could be portrayed as a fire. When you look at a fire, it’s beautiful but there’s a calmness in it that makes it sad. It’s also confusing, the fire twist and turns in ways you can never guess. The life of Montag is like this. It looks fine from the outside, but when you keep looking, there’s something missing, and sadness can be found. When Montag decides to know more about books, his life becomes twisted and he becomes confused. However, in the midst of a fire, there can be found warmth and hope. Montag finds hope when he meets with the intellectuals. Even though his life was depressing until then, now Montag has hope, that one day books will be reprinted.
_
Since the mood is mostly sad, I felt the sadness as I read. I was especially sad when I read about Mildred. She was brainwashed and when told the truth, she didn’t know how to respond and ignores. Montag is sad throughout the story of how Mildred can’t see the truth in life. I was also sad and annoyed at the same time at how Mildred doesn’t get it. Then I thought about how everyone else is the same in the book. They don’t want to “know” they just want to be happy. And the happiness they have only comes from not knowing, from ignoring the truth. If this was really happening in our life, it would be very depressing; everyone hidden beneath the blanket of ignorance that blocks us from knowing the truth.
The sadness also came from the burning. The books that took great amounts of time to write were being burnt in few seconds. Everything that everyone worked for was being wasted. I could feel why the woman wanted to die with her books. It was bitter to have her be burnt alive.
I think the book was too much grief and despair for me. The only comfort it gave me was when Montag set out with the intellectuals to keep the books from becoming extinct.
I think most of the times, the mood of this novel is sad and depressing. Montag is confused about his life and doesn’t know what the emptiness in his heart is. I think the mood of this story could be portrayed as a fire. When you look at a fire, it’s beautiful but there’s a calmness in it that makes it sad. It’s also confusing, the fire twist and turns in ways you can never guess. The life of Montag is like this. It looks fine from the outside, but when you keep looking, there’s something missing, and sadness can be found. When Montag decides to know more about books, his life becomes twisted and he becomes confused. However, in the midst of a fire, there can be found warmth and hope. Montag finds hope when he meets with the intellectuals. Even though his life was depressing until then, now Montag has hope, that one day books will be reprinted.
_
Since the mood is mostly sad, I felt the sadness as I read. I was especially sad when I read about Mildred. She was brainwashed and when told the truth, she didn’t know how to respond and ignores. Montag is sad throughout the story of how Mildred can’t see the truth in life. I was also sad and annoyed at the same time at how Mildred doesn’t get it. Then I thought about how everyone else is the same in the book. They don’t want to “know” they just want to be happy. And the happiness they have only comes from not knowing, from ignoring the truth. If this was really happening in our life, it would be very depressing; everyone hidden beneath the blanket of ignorance that blocks us from knowing the truth.
The sadness also came from the burning. The books that took great amounts of time to write were being burnt in few seconds. Everything that everyone worked for was being wasted. I could feel why the woman wanted to die with her books. It was bitter to have her be burnt alive.
I think the book was too much grief and despair for me. The only comfort it gave me was when Montag set out with the intellectuals to keep the books from becoming extinct.
RSS Feed (xml)
1 comment:
I totally agree with your post. I really love how you compared Montag's life and the mood to fire, one of the biggest pictures portrayed in different ways in this book. It is so true that the main character's life reflects the mood of the entire story.I also agree that throughout the story the mood is mostly sad and dreary, but at the end, when Montag sets out for a new beginning, the mood is changed to a more comforting one.
Post a Comment